|News Writing | Best Tips News Write | Expansion of News Items|
- Expansion of News Items
Parts of news :-
- a) Use of active voice
- b) Omission of articles
- c) Omission of structural words
- d) Use of minimum words.
- e) First letter of each word should be in capital
- f) Use of present tense.
- a) Name of place where the news event happen.
- b) Name of the month
- c) Date in digits
- d) Source of news – PTI or Our Reporter
Lead or Intro-
- a) Short paragraph leading the story.
- b) Answers of questions – Who, What, When, Where, How and Why
- c) Written in about thirty words or in three lines.
- d) Written in simple past tense.
The main body of the news –
- a) It is the continuing paragraph of the news.
- b) It gives the detailed account of the news.
- c) Written in simple past tense.
- d) The most important event is given in the beginning while less important events are given after that. The details of the news are given in the descending order of their importance.
Q. Read the following headlines of news items. Choose any one of them. Write the dateline, the lead paragraph and the short continuing paragraph.
- Five killed in Bus Jeep Collision
Five Killed in Bus Jeep Collision
Chandrapur, Feb, 5
Five persons were killed and two others seriously injured when a speeding jeep hit a bus carrying twenty passengers near Chandrapur last night. The accident took place due to the breakdown of jeep.
The scene was really horrible as the collided jeep seen to be broken into two pieces killing three men and two women on the spot. People from nearby fields came to help the affected persons.
The injured were admitted to the municipal hospital. The dead bodies were sent for post mortem examination.
The bus was going to Chandrapur and the jeep was coming from opposite side. The jeep driver could not control his jeep so the accident took place. The police have registered an offence against the jeep driver. The minister of home declared rupees sixty thousand to the dead persons while rupees ten thousand for the injured persons reports our reporter.